Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Blog Post #9: Maci Arms Film Reel and Artist Statement



Although I am somewhat of a filmmaker (amateur at most), more than anything I consider myself a dancer first. I have been dancing since I was three years old, so it’s become not only something I’m passionate about, but a huge part of who I am. I never thought that the day I picked up a camera would open the door to a new world that I didn’t know existed: the world of film.

When I am creating a film, I see it the same way I would choreograph a dance, even if I’m not shooting a dance scene. When I come up with an idea, I instantly think of the music behind it and how that will accentuate the mood of the scene. I think of how the movement will flow across the screen to create beautiful pictures and try to figure out the best way to create these pictures with a camera. It’s funny because through my work as a filmmaker, I have realized that filmmaking is very similar to dance. It’s an art form that requires a lot practice and experience to perfect, as well as the time needed to commit to perfecting it. In the end, dance and film are one in the same, art.

Both dance and film are beautiful art forms in and of themselves, but when put together, they can be a truly remarkable pair. The beauty in the movement of the dancers along with the added elements of a camera has the ability to create beautiful pictures overall and add another dimension to dance. Through film, a choreographer has the ability to direct the audiences’ focus exactly where they want it to go, and focus on the little details that could be lost on a large stage. They also have the ability to create a new, fantastical world in a very intimate setting, something that is not as easy when performing dance live. As I continue to explore the film world, I want to make films that are not only beautiful because of their choreography, but they are beautiful because of the videography as well. 

Film is quickly encroaching into the dance world, and I hope to one day be considered one of the filmmakers at the forefront of this movement.

13 comments:

  1. Nice choice of music Maci, I think it really fit with the images you chose and kind of gave it a cool music video feel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really sharp, loved the colors and the movement! You really capture the dancers perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maci, I loved your reel! The music, movement, colors... You have style!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic. I enjoyed how well the music went with your reel. Also, I'm sure that shooting an elevated stage can be challenging when you want a mix of shots, and I was impressed how you achieved that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic piece of art!!! Really describes you Maci and i wish you the best of luck in NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you made the music sync with the footage. It was different performances but it still worked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's something gorgeous and fantastical in all of your videos. This one sums up that feeling quite nicely. Even though they were different performances they still all fit together in a graceful way. I love it, beautiful job! (And the title 'Dance Cinematographer' fits really well!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really great reel! This looks like professional dance videography. You do a great job capturing the movement and aesthetics of dance. Good luck in New York!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your reel! The lighting was amazing in nearly every shot, plus I'm a sucker for lens flares. Keep doing what you do, because you're great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your reel and I love seeing how your interests are so incorporated into your vision as a filmmaker. We all have different inspirations from art that we use. Clearly, dance plays an enormous part in your work and I think that it helps create beautiful and unique vision. I like the parallel of film to dance choreography; when you think about it, they function in many of the same ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing! I love that as a dancer you decided to focus your reel on dancing footage, it looks spectacular and completely professional.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maci,

    That was great!! The color, the shots, the compositions, the focus... everything was spot on and really showcased your talent! You rock, so have some confidence in yourself!
    Also... I was really impressed by the music choice. With all those different dances, the music could have made things REALLY awkward at points, but it never did. It was again spot on! Great work!! And good luck in NYC! (I am seriously going to come visit you!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome job! You edit very well to the music. There was one moment that I think the dancer moved just slightly after the musical beat, though. It was when he had his arms and leg up and twisted his arms and bent his leg. I hope you get which shot I'm talking about. Good variety, though. Even in the type of dance! Beautiful color as well. :)

    ReplyDelete